The Assembly Floor

93291-004-C2B607C8.jpg

The Assembly Floor is where representatives, head-of-states, and ambassadors from different nations in Yggdrasil may meet, discuss, and propose legislation and treaties in an informal setting. This is the location where ideas are born.

Once an idea is more or less in a settled form, the nation's representative/head-of-state/ambassador may make a new and separate thread called a "Motion" for further discussion.

For more information on procedures, please see this topic:
http://www.half-hp.net/yggforums/index.php?showtopic=831

Before starting out, you may want to introduce your Ambassadors here.

Motion being discussed: Peacekeeping Mission to Tyrtania
Edited by Korros

the orldaw stands and addresses the Yggdrasil Union

thank you Mr. Speaker

Ambassadors, Dignitaries, Heads of state

i would like to bring the following resolution forth for your consideration

Peacekeeping mission to Tyrtania

I. Whereas,

1- Grand Minister Roth sent out a statement saying that all Non-Christians will be killed if they fail to convert;

2- Roth unrightfully seized power from Tsar Alexandre, the true ruler of Tyrtania;

3- Such actions are against the commonly held principles of Yggdrasil.

II. Resolved,

that the Yggdrasil Union authorize a peacekeeping action to restore Tsar Alexandre to his rightful place as ruler of Tyrtania.

as many of you many know Tyrtania's rule was unrightfully taken from its ruler Tsar alexandre. i will not stand for this treacherous act and as such give you the above resolution to initiate a peacekeeping mission to return Tyrtania to its rightful ruler.

Edited by Elici

Mr. Speaker, Gentlemen and Ladies,

Surely you must know that these accusations are false! They are nothing but lies and misinformation concocted by the associates of a psychotic dictator! Please allow me to explain the real situation in the context of this proposal.

1. Grand Minister Roth stated that non-Christians would be imprisoned for refusing to comply with the new laws of Tyrtania. The new law in question, making Christianity the official state religion. The executions were only meant for Greek Polytheists, all of whom were believed to be in league with outside forces that were trying to destroy Tyrtania. However, that penalty has since been repealed.

2. Grand Minister Roth liberated Tyrtania from an oppressive ruler. The last member of a dynasty that desperately clung to power using fear as a method to control the populace. The man known as Alexandre is no longer rightful ruler as Grand Minister Roth was democratically elected by his peers and fellow representatives in our new parliament.

3. Perhaps the method of liberating Tyrtania’s people went against the principles of Yggdrasil, but does not the oppression of one’s people, as Alexandre often did, also go against the principles of this noble region?

May I also add that this is a motion being made by the representative of a completely hypocritical nation! Elici nearly invaded Tyrtania and threatened our people with death and our homes with destruction! This peacekeeping would be an occupation of our country, likely spearheaded by the dictator of Elici! Furthermore I have almost no doubt that this motion is simply a cover for the Elicians’ desire to invade Tyrtania and take what rightfully belongs to us! Our land and our newfound freedom!

The ex-Tsar does not reside in Tyrtania and no one knows of his whereabouts, so he could not be reinstated. Alexandre is long gone, and the people of Tyrtania are better off this way! We have no wish to once again be enslaved by a corrupt Monarch!

Mr. Speaker, Gentlemen and Ladies,

Surely you must know that these accusations are false! They are nothing but lies and misinformation concocted by the associates of a psychotic dictator!

"these accusation as you put it, are based on information we got from officers for tyrtanias military" replied the orldaw "so by calling them lies your saying that your own people are lying about the status of there country"

"as for my country it is not led by a psychotic dictor but a benevolent one" "he saved us from ruin at the hands of the bickering democracy that controled our country"

1. Grand Minister Roth stated that non-Christians would be imprisoned for refusing to comply with the new laws of Tyrtania. The new law in question, making Christianity the official state religion. The executions were only meant for Greek Polytheists, all of whom were believed to be in league with outside forces that were trying to destroy Tyrtania. However, that penalty has since been repealed.

"looks like i'm not the liar here because the grand minister was going to execute all non-chritians within his territory who didn't convert to christianity" "wheither human or not"

2. Grand Minister Roth liberated Tyrtania from an oppressive ruler. The last member of a dynasty that desperately clung to power using fear as a method to control the populace. The man known as Alexandre is no longer rightful ruler as Grand Minister Roth was democratically elected by his peers and fellow representatives in our new parliament.

"sure if you idea of liberation is the slaughter of thousands of humans and non-humans alike then yea i agree Roth liberated Tyrtania"

"as for Alexandre's treatment of his people, the military officers we had contact with said that Alexandre treated the non-humans just fine"

"although his treatment of the humans was not "the best""

"but if roth didn't agree with this mistreatment then why didn't he simply come to the Yggdrasil union and request help or even go to the council of elders for help"

3. Perhaps the method of liberating Tyrtania’s people went against the principles of Yggdrasil, but does not the oppression of one’s people, as Alexandre often did, also go against the principles of this noble region?

May I also add that this is a motion being made by the representative of a completely hypocritical nation! Elici nearly invaded Tyrtania and threatened our people with death and our homes with destruction! This peacekeeping would be an occupation of our country, likely spearheaded by the dictator of Elici! Furthermore I have almost no doubt that this motion is simply a cover for the Elicians’ desire to invade Tyrtania and take what rightfully belongs to us! Our land and our newfound freedom!

The ex-Tsar does not reside in Tyrtania and no one knows of his whereabouts, so he could not be reinstated. Alexandre is long gone, and the people of Tyrtania are better off this way! We have no wish to once again be enslaved by a corrupt Monarch!

"we never invaded Tyrtania" "all we did was modilize our troop so we had control of the shores were our fleet made land"

"and the only reason we did this was so that we'd be in a good position to help in the evacuation of the non-christians"

"we pulled out our forces when we found out that the executions were called off"

"as for the Tsars whereabouts i wouldn't want to stay in my counrty neither if i'd just been condemed to death by my usurper"

"Alexandre will no doubt return to his country when roth is removed from the throne that he now unrightly hold"

"oh and one last thing father our contacts within your military say that some of your bishops are questioning Roth and his "methods""

Edited by Elici

Speaker Bergen rises after a period of contemplation.

"There is actually something that should be clarified. Father Kendall, considering no nation has formally recognized your government, nor has the Union voted to transfer the Tyrtanian seat to your government, under what authority do you claim ambassadorship in the hall?"

"looks like i'm not the liar here because the grand minister was going to execute all non-chritians within his territory who didn't convert to christianity" "wheither human or not"

Do you have some proof of that? Of course you don’t, because that is a complete and utter lie. Shame on you! Degrading our Grand Minister and trying to make him look like a lunatic!

"he saved us from ruin at the hands of the bickering democracy that controled our country"

Jolly well for you, but we’d like to have the opportunity to give democracy a try. I have a feeling it will work much better for us.

"sure if you idea of liberation is the slaughter of thousands of humans and non-humans alike then yea i agree Roth liberated Tyrtania"

I believe you are confusing us with the Human Supremacist Movement and the Christian Power Front. The Grand Minister belonged to neither.

"Alexandre will no doubt return to his country when roth is removed from the throne that he now unrightly hold"

"oh and one last thing father our contacts within your military say that some of your bishops are questioning Roth and his "methods"

God forbid the tyrant ever returns. The Grand Minister is the leader of Tyrtania now, and holds no throne. He sits in a seat in Parliament with the other representatives. Grand Minister Roth will lead us democratically and whatever you’ve heard about questioning is, false.

"There is actually something that should be clarified. Father Kendall, considering no nation has formally recognized your government, nor has the Union voted to transfer the Tyrtanian seat to your government, under what authority do you claim ambassadorship in the hall?"

I was chosen to represent the Theocratic Republic of Tyrtania by a Parliamentary vote. The members of Parliament are representatives for their counties, and by extension, the people of their counties. So, in a way, I was chosen by Tyrtania to represent it in this Union. I’m of Tyrtanian blood, and no one else has laid claim to the ambassadorship. Would you so quickly deprive the Tyrtanian people of their vote in regional matters?

Edited by Tyrtania

As I remember, Father Kendall, Representative Seban was officially sanctioned as Tyrtania's representative in the Union. Pray tell, where can we find him? Perhaps he can shed some light on the subject.

Further, the underlying issue in the current resolution is whether your government is legitimate or not. It would logically follow that there are questions of whether or not your government can appoint representatives.

Mr. Seban has, sadly, disappeared. He's nowhere to be found. It is my government's belief that he was murdered upon his arrival in Fort Hope by the Human Supremacist Army. Although, we have no way to confirm these reports.

If I may say though, Mr. Seban would certainly have been against the creation of the new government, and I could imagine he would have no love for the Grand Minister. But, he always wanted Tyrtania to be an independent, influential, nation with the ability to look out for itself. Having a representative in the Yggdrasil Union is a part of that, and it would be disrespectful to his memory to turn away my representation of Tyrtania. Even if I will only be in office temporarily until we can come to a solution to this dilemma.

the orldaw stand up turning to Father Kendall

are you really that blind sighted that you dont see the facts before you. your new government isn't a democracy its a dictatorship with god as its highest authority you will never get a taste of freedom under Roths rule.

As for proof of the massacure that was thankfully overted i believe that the Deuklionnic republic can back those claims and as for the thousands of deaths that took place at the time of Roths uprising as of right now i only know of people within tyrtania who can back that up and for obvious reasons they wont do that.

Edited by Elici

Obvious reasons? Mr. Ordlaw I'm afraid you're not being very forthcoming. Also, if you do have such evidence or a witness, they should come forth themselves. Otherwise all you are committing is acts of hearsay.

And my good sir, God should always be the highest authority in one's life.

I don't know what point you are trying to make by throwing around these wild accusations, but I think you should cut to the chase. Surely the Union has better things to do than argue over whether they should oppress a member nation or not?

*applauds vigorously*

Well done old bean. Tally ho! Flibbedy gibbet and all that!

B)

Edited by WookieO

The great and benevolent Primarch Blackthorn would like to extend His heartfelt appreciation for the support Yggdrasil has rendered him. He offers apology (a rare treat) for not spreading his benevolence among you sooner, but recent festivities have garnered his utmost attention. He would like to announce that in his great and all powerful wisdom He has chosen as His Deputy Speaker the lesser yet equally benevolent WookieO. The Primarch looks forward to extending His wisdom and radiance upon you all.

May the Primarch's radiance further our glory.

Thanking you kindly good sir.

I accept the position and hope to make my mark in the region through this most honourable appointment.

*hurriedly looks up the deputy speaker's role in the region in case it means he has to get out of bed before noon*

;)

*Amb. Bergen of Korros rises.*

I would like to congratulate the Speaker and Deputy speaker on their new roles and wish them the best of luck. If there are no objections, I would also like to put forward a new proposal.

*Aides began to pass out paper copies of the proposal.*

The Exoplanetary Autonomy Act

I. A. Whereas, several nations have invested significant time and effort in establishing colonies throughout the solar system;

B. Whereas, several nations have donated 1% of their GDP to terraform Mars, and establish colonies on the planet;

C. Whereas, said nations have, on their own initiative, established institutions to promote cooperation and progress, specifically the United Space Federation (USF) and the Mars Treaty Organization (MTO);

D. Whereas, the possibility that nations without space programs could impose legislation concerning these territories presents a moral and political quandary, nor would it be possible to enforce any legislation against the will of nations with exoplanetary territories;

II. A. Resolved, that the Assembly cannot enact any legislation affecting exoplanetary territories.

B. Resolved, that the Yggdrasil Union recognizes the USF and MTO as the proper institutions of exoplanetary agreement.

I believe this bill will codify the situation as it already exists. Additionally, I feel it will only encourage the exploration and colonization of the solar system. If the Speaker is willing to open discussion on this, I would be more than happy to work with my colleagues on this.

Edited by Korros

Mr Stylianos taps his microphone to make sure it is working before continuing:

Now, I can't make hide nor hair of all this outer space stuff. I've got enough to deal with down here! Hah! So I'm giving this discussion over to my fellow minister, Ms. Asteri Planitis. She's been dealing with all these federations and whatnot letting people live on Mars, so I'm sure she'll know what you're talking about far more than I do. I'm going outside with my pipe, enjoy the discussion.

As Mr Stylianos leaves, patting his pockets, a thin woman wearing very thin spectacles, hair fighting to escape from it's band, turns to address Ambassador Bergen:

Thank you, Mr Stylianos, for your introduction. Before we start the proceedings, Ambassador, I would just like to clear up one matter. In this proposal, point II.A. states that "the Assembly cannot any legislation affecting exoplanetary territories". Cannot what, may I ask? I assume this is merely a typographical error, and that the missing word or words are along the lines of "cannot agree", "cannot pass" or "cannot discuss"? However I would not like for a discussion to take place without truly knowing what we were discussing. Once this trifling mistake has been mended we can get on with the true business of, hopefully, passing your proposal. I for one am currently in support of it. Having spent a great many hours organising the colonisation of Mars by Epaiteian citizens I would not be happy for one whose nation has had no part in the proceedings deciding how our colonies are run.

A little out of breath after that last sentence, Ms Planitis sits back down to regain her composure.

*Amb. Bergen rises.*

"Ms. Planitis is correct about clause. We're still looking for a copy editor. I have modified the clause so that it is correct."

Ambassador Astrid Hertz, a tall women with a thin figure and dressed in a complete black and white suite, now sat as the current ambassador to Silvadus.

"Ambassador Bergen, if I may address this; Silvadus currently holds position of permanent chairman and any final decisions having to do with the United Space Federation will be dealt by me. Currently, the USF has no control over legislation within it's member states, wether it be on Earth or other celestial bodies, and is meant to link nations together with interests in space exploration. As it stands, the USF is the closest thing to the Yggdrasil Union beyond Earth so I could see why you would want to make the USF such; but I must respectively disagree with you ambassador. I think that a much easier way of reaching what you want can be done: dividing the Yggdrasil Union. By dividing the Yggdrasil Union into the respective celestial bodies that can be claimed by more than one nation in separate assemblies (Earth Assembly, Mars Assembly, Venus Assembly, Luna Assembly, Mercury Assembly) so as legislation having to do with Earth is kept to Earth and any legislation directly proposed to the Yggdrasil Union will have an affect on all nations within the Realm of Yggdrasil. Any celestial bodies that can only have one nation inhabit them will only be affected by legislation set by the nation and in the Yggdrasil Union. What do my fellow ambassadors think of these suggestions?"

Astrid Hertz relaxes herself in her chair as she waits for any responses.

OoC: The Yggdrasil Union and United Space Federation are similar to comparing the United Nations and European Union.

Edited by Silvadus

*Amb. Bergen rises.*

"The intention of Clause II.B wasn't to establish a the agencies as governing bodies. The purpose was to establish that the exoplanetary agencies would take the lead on treaties or arbitration. The crutch of the proposal is to free space for the colonizers, not to replace one government with another. I think the cosmos should represent freedom, and should be governed as such."

*Amb. Bergen takes his seat.*

II. A. Resolved, that the Assembly cannot enact any legislation affecting exoplanetary territories.

This is where the proposal becomes ridiculous, Mr- um...

King Aysko leans forward to read the name tag.

...Bergen, because no legislation is an island. The Yggdrasil Free Trade Agreement? Less funding for Exoplanet colonization! A proposal banning slavery? Less people to work in the Exoplanet colonies! Until this section is clarified, I can only vote against this proposal.

A somewhat pudgy black gentleman hurries down to the center podeum on the stage. Once there he takes a deep breath, then begins to deliver his speech.

Hello Ladies and Gentleman.

First let me introduce myself. I am Temi T. Hamlett XIII, and I am the most recently appointed speaker for this delightful union. You may also know me from the Christmas Ultimatum and from my initial Yggdrasil Union Address, as both these were very... controversial. That however is what I want for this union. The Yggdrasil Union has been gone for so long that, any sort of activity in it would be an immense improvement. However that is not enough, therefore I will do my best to excite this region with the numerous number of bills that will be proposed during my tenure. I look forward to working with each and everyone of you.

Edited by Temi

The black man stands on the Podium and begins to pull a folded sheet of paper out of his pocket.

Ahem.

My fellow ambassadors, in light of the motion I have called to vote, I would now like to lay down some new rules to make my job and yours a little easier.

First, Any and all motions will be placed to vote on the Sunday of that week. The voting period will end on the coming Thursday.

Secondly, If at any point an ambassador feels they want to retract their motion, just tell me and I shall oust it.

Thirdly, I want to establish two new motions. The Repeal and The Amendment.

Now the repeal is very self explanatory. If any point you feel a newly passed motion or "Bill" is not needed or out right wrong, you may try to repeal it. In order to do this, you may write a Repeal, and within it, you must make valid points against the Bill in question. All repeal votes shall begin on Sundays and end on the following Thursday.

Finally we have the Amendment. It is, in all right, a lesser version of The Repeal. At any point you feel that a certain passed bill needs to be updated, you must right a motion in order to change it. Within the motion, you must specifically state the portion you want to add or retract to the Bill. All votes for Amendments will be held on Thursday to Sunday.

Thank you all for your time.

Neatly folds the paper back up and then returns to his seat.

Edited by Temi

A handsome Indian man in a black and lapis lazuli sherwani ascends the steps to the podium amid indignant protests and shouts from the Imperial Kelwanese ambassador.

"Namaste my lords and ladies of the Union. I am Siddhartha Khajiit, Prince Heir to the justly independent kingdom of Sri Jaikhan. I come before you today to speak on behalf of the Ahn Khejimari monarchs, delegates and Provisional Governess Natali Shah-Inamdar. Unbeknownst to most within this room, a brutal war has raged in my country for the past three years. This conflict has claimed over forty-two thousand lives and brought destruction on untold levels."

Siddhartha paused for a moment and composed himself

"On May sixteenth, two-thousand and ten, a democratic constitution was drafted by Chancellor Savita Upadhriti and the Council of Ministers. Motivated to reconcile her loyalty for Emperor Maravarman with her belief in self-determination; this stunning woman attempted to bring progress where all others had failed. Across our proud nation, millions took up her cry and waited anxiously for what could possibly become the most momentous event of their lives. Despite the aforementioned popular support and emphatic assurances of the thrones continued power; Savita was branded a traitor. The then titled Princess Natali was forced to bear witness to the ensuing execution as a lesson against progressiveness. Watching her adoptive mother being drawn-and-quartered, understandably shattered any lingering sense of filial love she held for Maravarman. Natali disowned her father soon thereafter and rose again as a daughter of the revolution. Within a fortnight she would be smuggled out of Kentosani on a plane and flown to Ontoset; host city to a secret meeting of southern dissidents. It was at this time that the Ahn-Khejimar Revolution was announced. Smoldering embers of embitterment quickly burst forth into an inferno of uprisings and furious riots. Just as the princess had shed her chains and been reborn, so too had our people. These countless new progeny of the scarlet wheel soon empowered delegates for their regions in the first election in Kelwanese history. At the first convening of this delegates council, Natali was astoundingly appointed to the temporary Premiers seat. Under her leadership, revolutionary forces gained an enormous amount of traction and were able to push as far North as Cambay. The lights of hope can be so easily extinguished though, and on July twenty-fifth, two thousand and twelve Prince Artharavan began a brutal counter-insurgency. The cities of Ambala, Cambay, Suryapet and Fatehpur Sikri have since been under a perpetual state of assailment. Revolutionary forces led by my sister and the Provisional Government fight for their very lives against the increasingly victorious forces of a brutal, despotic emperor. With this in mind; I have come before you today, not to seek some moral high ground or pander to a sense of political righteousness, but instead to plead for my life and those of millions of my countrymen. Whatever decision should emerge forth from this assembly, make such a swift and definitive one."

Edited by Kelewan

===Snip==

King Aysko nods, takes a sip of his coffee and shifts in his seat toward the speaker.

"Are we to understand that you are requesting help from the Yggdrasil Union in aiding your revolution?"