Sign in to follow this  
Alyekra

Total reformation of the Yggdrasil Union

I submit these proposals for the consideration of the public.

We, the Yggdrasil Union, hereby enact the following proclamations:

Supreme Proclamation One: Reform

1. We shall henceforth be known as the Yggdrasil Assembly.

2. We shall dissolve all previous laws and procedures and establish and uphold these Supreme Proclamations as the foundation of the Yggdrasil Assembly in perpetuity.

3. We shall not allow the Supreme Proclamations to be violated while the Great Tree remains standing.

Supreme Proclamation Two: Membership

1. We shall guarantee that all citizens of Yggdrasil shall hold the right to register for membership and that membership shall be the sole requirement to vote.

2. We shall establish that all members be granted the right to speech in both individual and collective means.

3. We shall not restrict members from determining their own destiny, politically or otherwise.

Supreme Proclamation Three: The Heimr

1. We shall require a proposal to be enacted to recognize a Heimr if the proposed Heimr has achieved at least a minimum population of two nations, and accordingly repeal the aforementioned proclamation whenever the Heimr falls below the requirement of two nations.

2. We shall grant all Heimrs the power to organize themselves and select a Leader by their own means and that a citizen may chose one Heimr to be a member of at any given time.

3. We shall not allow for any proclamation to be ratified that restricts the Heimrs in any way, insuring their right to be established, grow, decline, or collapse by their own means and merit.

Supreme Proclamation Four: The Overseer

1. We shall elect a Overseer by general popular vote on the fifteenth day of every month.

2. We shall task the Overseer with selecting Heimrs to send representatives to the Round Table at the beginning of each term, and presiding over the Round Table.

3. We shall not allow the Overseer to simultaneously hold a seat on the Round Table.

Supreme Proclamation Five: The Round Table

1. We shall task the Round Table with the duty of ratifying or repealing any proclamation, appointing a Thayn, creating or abolishing additional government offices and legislating on anything not expressly listed within these Supreme Proclamations with a simple majority.

2. We shall grant the Round Table the power the impeach the Thayn at any time with a supermajority of 2/3 in favor.

3. We shall not allow absences in the Round Table to exceed one week,: the Overseer must select new members to the Round Table after any chair is left empty for any reason.

Supreme Proclamation Six: The Thayn

1. We shall task the Thayn with executing and ensuring proper compliance with all proclamations.

2. We shall require the ratification of a proclamation to seat Thayn to serve for however long the Round Table requests his or her service and may be removed from office through the repeal of that proclamation.

3. We shall not allow the Thayn to simultaneously hold a seat on the Round Table.

Supreme Proclamation Seven: General Powers

1. We shall define an Proclamation as a law that has been both ratified by the Round Table and signed by the Thayn with the exception of a proclamation that seats or unseats a Thayn.

2. We shall regard the Thayn as the head of the Yggdrasil Assembly should the Round Table cease to function, and in such a case the Thayn shall be tasked with the duty of making the Round Table function once more.

3. We shall not alter, pervert the meaning of, suspend, or abolish these Supreme Proclamations; however, all other proclamations ratified by the Round Table are subject to repeal.

Edited by Alyekra

- What are the equivalent English names for Thayn, Overseeir, Heimr?

- How would this serve the Union better than the current system where every member of Yggdrasil is automatically a member of YU, with only the Speakership requiring special elections?

- Who would organize the "popular vote" for the Overseer every month?

- What are the equivalent English names for Thayn, Overseeir, Heimr?

A Thayn is like a king. Even if we change the other norse words, I'd like to keep this one.

Overseer is an english word. It means "a person who supervises others, especially workers."

Heimer is like "Homeworld", referring to the nine realms connected by Yggdrasil. I'm open to changing this.

- How would this serve the Union better than the current system where every member of Yggdrasil is automatically a member of YU, with only the Speakership requiring special elections?

In this system, players will be encouraged to create and expand their Heimr and maneuver their Heimr to the best political position. That provides a reason to participate (Personal gain, if you're cynical) and generates activity.

It also provides some good structure while, at the same time, maintaining a great deal of flexibility.

- Who would organize the "popular vote" for the Overseer every month?

That is an excellent question. I didn't think of that. It's the Thayn's job to execute the proclamations, so it would be his job unless/until the Round Table assigns it to someone else. I guess that should be a pretty high priority.

Edited by Alyekra

A Thayn is like a king. Even if we change the other norse words, I'd like to keep this one.

Overseer is an english word. It means "a person who supervises others, especially workers."

Heimer is like "Homeworld", referring to the nine realms connected by Yggdrasil. I'm open to changing this.

In this system, players will be encouraged to create and expand their Heimr and maneuver their Heimr to the best political position. That provides a reason to participate (Personal gain, if you're cynical) and generates activity.

It also provides some good structure while, at the same time, maintaining a great deal of flexibility.

That is an excellent question. I didn't think of that. It's the Thayn's job to execute the proclamations, so it would be his job unless/until the Round Table assigns it to someone else. I guess that should be a pretty high priority.

Thane is more like a greater chief in service of a higher lord; think of a man who holds land granted by the king or by a military nobleman, ranking between an ordinary freeman and a hereditary noble.

This sounds like a house system. Do I smell the house system I've been complaining for since last year? Or maybe a reason to use the Party System outside of Elections?

Just some problems:

Supreme Proclamation One: Reasonable, no complaints here. Renamed, reorganized, tabula rasa

Supreme Proclamation Two: How do we determine who can vote? We don't have a way to stop non-WA's from voting, I doubt we can be specific about this too. I say just leave it so everyone's already a part of it and cut out the middle man

Supreme Proclamation Three: This confuses me a little; who are they, what do they do, and why are the relevant? Please clarify in the initial document

Supreme Proclamation Four: Every month is a little... short, to be honest. I'm worried GRO wouldn't have the time and patience to constantly update Masks. We have the Speaker, why not just keep the time frame? On that note, why do we need a Round Table at all?

Supreme Proclamation Five: If the purpose of the Round Table is ratifying or repealing documents and government seats, whats the point of the Council of Elders we have elections for?

Supreme Proclamation Six: Neato burrito, but why would they do anything to ensure compliance if they have no say of what to comply with? And how would they force compliance?

Supreme Proclamation Seven: No complaints here

Sorry, I'm not picking it apart to be mean, but from what I read I understand this as an attempt to bring some power out of the CoE and into the general population, and if that is indeed the case I want it to be the best possible wording and efficiency.

The way it's written right now is somewhat confusing and a little redundant. Upon first reading it the Paragraph structure threw me off, and a lack of clarification of the new offices made understanding the entire article somewhat of a hassle.

I would recommend simplifying it a little bit, and grouping together the new offices in order of appearance so one can better understand their functions.

Otherwise, it's an interesting idea and I look forward to a YU update... but what about including Valhalla, too?

Edited by Vrolondia

Supreme Proclamation Two: How do we determine who can vote? We don't have a way to stop non-WA's from voting, I doubt we can be specific about this too. I say just leave it so everyone's already a part of it and cut out the middle man

Yeah, good idea.

Supreme Proclamation Three: This confuses me a little; who are they, what do they do, and why are the relevant? Please clarify in the initial document

Heimrs are essentially political parties or houses, once they reach two members, the round table has to pass a proclamation ratifying it. At that point, they can select their own leader and that leader can be selected by the Overseer to serve on the round table.

Supreme Proclamation Four: Every month is a little... short, to be honest. I'm worried GRO wouldn't have the time and patience to constantly update Masks. We have the Speaker, why not just keep the time frame? On that note, why do we need a Round Table at all?

The Overseer is the most powerful position in the Assembly. I didn't want to make his term too long. A short term also means more elections for the position and more political upheaval when the balance of power shifts, both of which increase activity.

Supreme Proclamation Five: If the purpose of the Round Table is ratifying or repealing documents and government seats, whats the point of the Council of Elders we have elections for?

The purpose of the Council of Elders is essentially to provide regional stability while also giving it an activity boost when needed. It governs Yggdrasil. The Yggdrasil Assembly only governs the Yggdrasil Assembly. It is built to achieve as much instability as possible without destroying itself, which generates activity.

Supreme Proclamation Six: Neato burrito, but why would they do anything to ensure compliance if they have no say of what to comply with? And how would they force compliance?

I considered a Veto function, I'll go ahead and put it in.

Sorry, I'm not picking it apart to be mean, but from what I read I understand this as an attempt to bring some power out of the CoE and into the general population, and if that is indeed the case I want it to be the best possible wording and efficiency.

The way it's written right now is somewhat confusing and a little redundant. Upon first reading it the Paragraph structure threw me off, and a lack of clarification of the new offices made understanding the entire article somewhat of a hassle.

I would recommend simplifying it a little bit, and grouping together the new offices in order of appearance so one can better understand their functions.

I described the offices in terms of their duties and powers. I'm not sure how to make that more clear, I'll see what I can do. Grouping them together should help, yes.

I'll also try to fix the redundant bits.

Otherwise, it's an interesting idea and I look forward to a YU update... but what about including Valhalla, too?

I would love to get Valhalla in on it :D

Also, if anyone can think of an alternative word to Heimr, I would really appreciate it.

Edited by Alyekra

Supreme Proclamation Three: The Heimr

1. We shall require a proposal to be enacted to recognize a Heimr if the proposed Heimr has achieved at least a minimum population of two nations, and accordingly repeal the aforementioned proclamation whenever the Heimr falls below the requirement of two nations.

2. We shall grant all Heimrs the power to organize themselves and select a Leader by their own means and that a citizen may chose one Heimr to be a member of at any given time.

3. We shall not allow for any proclamation to be ratified that restricts the Heimrs in any way, insuring their right to be established, grow, decline, or collapse by their own means and merit.

If a Heimr is a political entity, you might actually have to give each Heimr their own subforum where the members can vote as they please. From what I understand of your post , Heimr elections are internal and then the Overseer of the YU needs to ratify the results. Am I correct in my assumption so far?

To add to the point Canadian scumbag raised:

The purpose of the Council of Elders is essentially to provide regional stability while also giving it an activity boost when needed. It governs Yggdrasil. The Yggdrasil Assembly only governs the Yggdrasil Assembly. It is built to achieve as much instability as possible without destroying itself, which generates activity.

Alyekra, this doesn't really make the YA any different from the YU. We already tried this before , nobody really joined in the discussions. If you're planning on keeping the YA independent of the Council of Elders , there's practically no difference in function from the YU. It's just going to be a RP forum overhead that nobody will participate in , since their decisions mean squat as far as actual regional gameplay is concerned.

This is an extremely critical point imho. Your proposals are well intentioned , but you're just adding more Positions within the Yggdrasil Union that ultimately will serve no purpose. It's just bloat. If recent activity is any indication, the YU couldn't even function with a single leader (the Speaker) because of the lack of participation. Adding more positions is not going to help in increasing participation at all

As I mentioned above, you're not going to have any participation if the Yggdrasil Assembly is an entity that has no actual influence in regional gameplay. Nobody would join a body that is purely ceremonial. RP aficionados will , but with our current forum activity , you're not going to get anywhere.

My 2 cents on this - if we're going to have a separate body , we need to create one that will supplant the Council of Elders in the decision process. This will encourage activity - people love to be a part of the process and the knowledge that their participation had an effect on the end result will leave them craving for more. Don't get me wrong, I do love your proposal - however it would only be a success if you had enough people willing to engage in a massive RP fest , which I doubt we can muster at this point.

If a Heimr is a political entity, you might actually have to give each Heimr their own subforum where the members can vote as they please. From what I understand of your post , Heimr elections are internal and then the Overseer of the YU needs to ratify the results. Am I correct in my assumption so far?

Not quite. The Overseer selects which heimrs are represented on the Round Table. The selected Heimrs choose which of their members to send to the round table.

Alyekra, this doesn't really make the YA any different from the YU. We already tried this before , nobody really joined in the discussions. If you're planning on keeping the YA independent of the Council of Elders , there's practically no difference in function from the YU. It's just going to be a RP forum overhead that nobody will participate in , since their decisions mean squat as far as actual regional gameplay is concerned.

This is an extremely critical point imho. Your proposals are well intentioned , but you're just adding more Positions within the Yggdrasil Union that ultimately will serve no purpose. It's just bloat. If recent activity is any indication, the YU couldn't even function with a single leader (the Speaker) because of the lack of participation. Adding more positions is not going to help in increasing participation at all

As I mentioned above, you're not going to have any participation if the Yggdrasil Assembly is an entity that has no actual influence in regional gameplay. Nobody would join a body that is purely ceremonial. RP aficionados will , but with our current forum activity , you're not going to get anywhere.

My 2 cents on this - if we're going to have a separate body , we need to create one that will supplant the Council of Elders in the decision process. This will encourage activity - people love to be a part of the process and the knowledge that their participation had an effect on the end result will leave them craving for more. Don't get me wrong, I do love your proposal - however it would only be a success if you had enough people willing to engage in a massive RP fest , which I doubt we can muster at this point.

I completely agree. Eventually supplanting the CoE was my end goal anyway, and this seemed like the best way to go about it. I can't remember why.

Thank you.

Getting rid of the Council of Elders seems like a poor idea. There is a lot that has to be done behind the scenes, which is not terrific for the entire region to discuss.

Edited by Zybodia

Getting rid of the Council of Elders seems like a poor idea. There is a lot that has to be done behind the scenes, which is not terrific for the entire region to discuss.

Of course.

Did you really mean "supplanting"?

Getting rid of the Council of Elders is a poor idea. Positions like Chief Executive, Chancellor and the ministers will have to stay, but they'd have to be (Gradually!!) reworked to fit in the style / aesthetics of the new organization.