Sign in to follow this  
Goddess Relief Office

Renaming the YDS

Renaming the YDS

The Yggdrasil Defense Service, or YDS, is the army of Yggdrasil and Valhalla. It was established in 2008/09 before I refounded Valhalla, so it's naming did not take Valhalla into account.

I have been thinking for a while to rename the YDS so that Valhalla nations feel they belong to the organization. As such, I would like to open a discussion on this and ask that you suggest potential replacement names for that.

The new name should be something we can all remember, and does not necessarily need to have the words "Valhalla" or "Yggdrasil" in it.

Thank you!

:yggsmiley::grouphug::valsmiley:

The most obvious choices would be Valkyrie/Gungnir/svalinn. I'm thinking you wanna Norse theme; but also a defense not offense name.

Valkyrie Guard?

It's simple and everyone knows what a Valkyrie is.

I'm leaning more towards Vigil personally. "Vigil of Yggdrasil/Valhalla", ect. Or Sentinel

I dunno, it sounds cool

The Iron Guard, it is a fitting name since Iron is a root element of Steel, which was used to make armor, shields, and weaponry. I was also considering having a factbook for it, and all nations can volunteer a division of their army to take part in the Guard. Example: The Imperial Waffen SS, Iron Guard Division

While I never defended any thing in my life how about the name Ulfberht?

It is a name of some some real high quality viking swords very few however were made.

Any other suggestions? Maybe something that's easier to pronounce? I have had soooo many telegrams telling me they won't move to Yggdrasil (since I do alot of recruiting) because they can't pronounce our region's name. :sadangel:

A bit lame, but how about:

Defender of our Roots (aka defending the world tree's roots)?

As an acronym it'll be DOOR, which would justly fit with Norse mythology as Yggdrasil as the 'door' to the nine worlds.

A bit lame, but how about:

Defender of our Roots (aka defending the world tree's roots)?

As an acronym it'll be DOOR, which would justly fit with Norse mythology as Yggdrasil as the 'door' to the nine worlds.

Guardians of the Great Tree?

We can call ourselves Guardeners! (Ha! Guardians! Gardeners! Tree! Is a bad pun also on the Ottoman Empire! A really bad Quadruple pun inside itself! A puntastrophy, even!)

WE SHALL PRUNE THE TREE OF IT'S BAD APPLES!

Edited by Vrolondia

The most obvious choices would be Valkyrie/Gungnir/svalinn. I'm thinking you wanna Norse theme; but also a defense not offense name.

Valkyrie Guard?

It's simple and everyone knows what a Valkyrie is.

I like this name, its simple, and it will show people that we are an organization that actually communicates. Plus i love Norse.

What does everyone think of the name "Guardians of the Nine Realms".

The "Ministry of Defense" currently has the following description:

Home of the Yggdrasil Defense Service, Guardians of the Nine Realms. The YDS is the common defense force of both Yggdrasil and Valhalla and will defend our regions in time of peace or war.

We can play around with it a bit, Covenant of the Nine Realms? Nine Realms Treaty Organization?

The Shield of Odin (TSO)

As both Valhalla and Yggdrasil are from Norse Mythology, I like the collective nouns Valkyries, Einherjar, or Dísir.

Dísir also reflect a Goddess (Relief Office) theme. Drawback is that it may sound a little overboard to call oneself a whole bunch of goddesses. The name emphasises protection and cultivation over belligerence. Dísir would be easy to pronounce. For simplicity’s sake, it would be fine to dispense with the accent and write:

The Disir

'In Norse mythology, a dís ("lady", plural dísir) is a ghost, spirit or deity associated with fate who can be both benevolent and antagonistic towards mortal people. Dísir may act as protective spirits of Norse clans.'

Wikipedia on Dísir

I am leaning towards one of the following

Strategic Defense Treaty Organization (SDTO)

Strategic Defense Service (SDS)

Strategic Regional Defense Accord (SRDA)

Allied Regional Defense Accord (ARDA)

Nine Realms Treaty Organization (NIRTO)

I'm aiming for something that can also sound like a RP alliance, rather than strictly gameplay. Any thoughts?

Eh, NIRTO sounds too much like TITO to me... ARDA is more us, you know?

Edited by Vrolondia