Welcome to The Realm

Welcome to our forum! Like most online communities you must register to view or post. But don't worry, this is a simple process that requires minimal information and effort. When registering, please use your Nation name from NS as your Display name.

Thank you.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goddess Relief Office

The Cost of War

http://www.nationalpriorities.org/costofwar_home

This is for Americans mostly. The National Priorities Project has a war cost calculator above that tells you how much your State/County/City has contributed to the war so far.

The City where I live, has spent $236.1 million for the Iraq war to-date. For the same amount of money, the following could have been provided:

• 97,192 People with Health Care for One Year OR
  • 420,743 Homes with Renewable Electricity for One Year OR
  • 4,219 Public Safety Officers for One year OR
  • 3,336 Music and Arts Teachers for One Year OR
  • 35,488 Scholarships for University Students for One Year OR
  • 707 Affordable Housing Units OR
  • 88,271 Children with Health Care for One Year OR
  • 28,246 Head Start Places for Children for One Year OR
  • 3,392 Elementary School Teachers for One Year OR
  • 2,983 Port Container Inspectors for One year

It's pretty fun to look at the trade-off. Kind of a reality check. For example, $5.4 million of tax dollars from my City will go to maintaining nuclear weapons in FY2008. For the same amount of money, it can provide 817 Scholarships for University Students for One Year.

America is the richest county in the world, they say. But it spends a disproportional amount of money on the military.

It's worth noting that if there weren't any taxes there wouldn't be any wars.

I would appreciate it if you would elaborate.

I would appreciate it if you would elaborate.

Wars are incredibly expensive. Since most people wouldn't be willing to voluntarily give their money to fund a war, and since products produced by a war-waging entity would have to be more expensive than products produced by a non-war-waging entity, wars have to be funded by stealing the money.

No stealing, no wars.

Wars are incredibly expensive. Since most people wouldn't be willing to voluntarily give their money to fund a war, and since products produced by a war-waging entity would have to be more expensive than products produced by a non-war-waging entity, wars have to be funded by stealing the money.

No stealing, no wars.

You're assuming that war doesn't grant the victor access to valuable commodities, such as oil and mineral mining rights. War could be privately funded on these grounds.