Sign in to follow this  
Goddess Relief Office

Special Update on GRO, January 2014

sample3.jpg
Special Update on GRO
January 11, 2014

DEAR ALL,

For those worried about me or Yggdrasil, I think this is a good time to let everyone know what's been going on in my life.

I've been kind of unhappy ever since I returned from the USA 3 years ago and started working in Singapore. My health took a dive and I contracted a nerve disease (Tarlov cysts) which gives me chronic pain in one of my legs. I had surgery but it didn't work out. The doctor was not able to remove the cyst due to the danger the procedure posed. If you are wondering what a Tarlov cyst is, it's basically an abnormal growth filled by spinal fluid. The cyst is formed by membrane in the spinal wall and located deep at the end of the spinal column. Incidentally it is next to a bundle of nerves going to the legs, and the pain is due to the cyst pressing on these nerves.

Partly due to this, and partly due to the stress of life in Singapore (It's just sooooo crowded here compared to the US), I've been living a reclusive life. It's difficult to go out and socialize when walking > 500m starts to give me pain, and the overcrowded situation means the risk of getting bumped by people is pretty high and there's a lack of seats in public places. Further to that, my job in Singapore wasn't all that great... long hours and little recognition, and I also had to live with my parents again and it's not been fun.

The above is why I've been more and more depressed and less and less active on NationStates. I know this has affected Yggdrasil's activity, and I wish to take this opportunity to apologize to everybody. I've let you down as Founder and it's my fault entirely.

In the end I decided I needed a change. To get out of my unhappy situation I need to get out of the country. Accordingly I've been planning to migrate since last year and will be leaving for Australia in a few days.

I've moved across continents to live and work before, but last time when I did that it was 2003. I was younger and in great health. This time around it'll be more challenging. Nevertheless, I look forward to the change in environment and getting to experience new things.

In the next few months I'll be much more active than I was previously. After I find a new place to stay Australia I'll be looking for a job, during which time I should have spare time to spend online. Hopefully, we can regain some population for Yggdrasil. As always, I look forward to your support and thank you for your understanding.

Your friend,
~Goddess Relief Office~

I'm sorry to hear that. The council all knew you were depressed, and something was going on, but I don't think any of us knew it was that bad.

At the end of the day NSG is just a game, so your health comes before Yggdrasil. No more apologizing for being sick.

Okiedokie?

Thanks for sharing all that with us, and I wish you the best. Or esteemed leader deserves better and hopefully things will get less sucky.

If I could, I'd give you a hug. :hug:

Thank you for the update GRO! All of Texas has been concerned about you and you have lots of friends there. We appreciate the explanation and are very sorry to hear about your health problems. We know how that can make even the simplest of daily tasks difficult.

It sounds like you have rounded a major corner and are making changes that will only increase your quality of life. That is a good thing!

We wish you the best Buddy!

:baka:

Good luck GRO! It's high time you finally moved out of this heck of a place, after all that problems surfacing in Singapore. It'll be much greater for you to leave before the Government squeeze 6.9 million on this tiny island; or be forced to stand up in trains and buses just because there ain't enough seats while your leg hurts; or be forced walking long distance to the next train station just because a train broke down.

So, goodbye (since you are moving away from Singapore) :wave: , but I'm sure life will be much better for you in Australia. :thumbsup: And here in Yggdrasil, too. ;)

I believe everyone here only wishes for the best for ya.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. :grouphug:

@EnE: Singapore is okay if you're young and nimble. But if you are old, pregnant or have trouble walking, the overcrowdedness outside is really kind of dangerous. On a normal day I get bumped at least once when I go out. MRT stations, road junctions and sidewalks are especially dangerous because not only are there a large crowd of people rushing to go somewhere but also bicycles zipping about. The need to stand when taking the train is a foregone conclusion and our Govt campaign for people to give-up seats focuses only on the elderly or pregnant but ignores a group such as myself-- people who are young with medical conditions.

I love Singapore but it's not the same country I grew up in. I think our golden age was in the late 80s and early 90s. After that it all went downhill...

@ST: Unfortunately my condition is not something I can recover from. It's just a matter of managing pain and trying not to get an inflammation by doing too much physical activity.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. :grouphug:

@EnE: Singapore is okay if you're young and nimble. But if you are old, pregnant or have trouble walking, the overcrowdedness outside is really kind of dangerous. On a normal day I get bumped at least once when I go out. MRT stations, road junctions and sidewalks are especially dangerous because not only are there a large crowd of people rushing to go somewhere but also bicycles zipping about. The need to stand when taking the train is a foregone conclusion and our Govt campaign for people to give-up seats focuses only on the elderly or pregnant but ignores a group such as myself-- people who are young with medical conditions.

I love Singapore but it's not the same country I grew up in. I think our golden age was in the late 80s and early 90s. After that it all went downhill...

@ST: Unfortunately my condition is not something I can recover from. It's just a matter of managing pain and trying not to get an inflammation by doing too much physical activity.

I'm not even old enough to experience the late 80s and the early 90s - but I agree with you. Every bloody year we sing Kit Chan's Home during NDP, but I believe, to me (and to many others), it is the mourning of an era long gone, where things are so that competitive and scary and overcrowded. I particularly loved Ilo Ilo (which my family doesn't, interestingly) because it reminded me of an era gone, where Singapore is so tranquil and peaceful to say the least. I'm glad to say, thankfully, I live in a part of Singapore where things are somewhat preserved, thankfully, and the pace of life still somewhat slack for Singapore.

But I have to admit that I'm one of them who always rush to go somewhere, and I'm sorry about that. :( But it was all due to the need to get away from the crowds ASAP, and try to get home and do work/prep/revise. The education system is very competitive after all. (Well, a person who was on the IP was relegated to the O-level scheme, but he was considered so good by Eton that they accepted him - that's how crazily ahead we are than the rest of the world sans China and the like...) If I can't get at least 3A1B for my A-levels, I'm going to be below average in my school, and also probably can't study what I want to study here or overseas. It's all the innate desire not to become one of the plebs because Singapore is getting a lot worse in terms of social mobility (I fear for my children - maybe I won't have children, I can't bear them to bear the pain of this crazy world) and the fear of being one of the normal people are just too great because it sucks to live in Singapore.

After all, can you imagine? 1 million dollars for a damn HDB flat. I don't understand how the hell people can afford that with the income caps.

I'm not even old enough to experience the late 80s and the early 90s - but I agree with you. Every bloody year we sing Kit Chan's Home during NDP, but I believe, to me (and to many others), it is the mourning of an era long gone, where things are so that competitive and scary and overcrowded. I particularly loved Ilo Ilo (which my family doesn't, interestingly) because it reminded me of an era gone, where Singapore is so tranquil and peaceful to say the least. I'm glad to say, thankfully, I live in a part of Singapore where things are somewhat preserved, thankfully, and the pace of life still somewhat slack for Singapore.

But I have to admit that I'm one of them who always rush to go somewhere, and I'm sorry about that. :( But it was all due to the need to get away from the crowds ASAP, and try to get home and do work/prep/revise. The education system is very competitive after all. (Well, a person who was on the IP was relegated to the O-level scheme, but he was considered so good by Eton that they accepted him - that's how crazily ahead we are than the rest of the world sans China and the like...) If I can't get at least 3A1B for my A-levels, I'm going to be below average in my school, and also probably can't study what I want to study here or overseas. It's all the innate desire not to become one of the plebs because Singapore is getting a lot worse in terms of social mobility (I fear for my children - maybe I won't have children, I can't bear them to bear the pain of this crazy world) and the fear of being one of the normal people are just too great because it sucks to live in Singapore.

After all, can you imagine? 1 million dollars for a damn HDB flat. I don't understand how the hell people can afford that with the income caps.

I... wha- what?

1 million? Serious?

FYI I'll be moving away from the hotel into an apartment tomorrow. As such there might be a few days where I have zero or limited internet. (I am told all internet service providers rely on a 3rd party company to do the connection, and appointment to make a house-call has a minimum 10 working day waiting period) <_<

I will still connect via my phone, but it's not the most effective. If you need my attention for any forum matters, it is best to Telegram me via NS. I will prioritize my connecting there rather than this forum.

p/s: Don't worry about the voting threads. They auto-lock when the time comes.