Sign in to follow this  
Republic of Ezentia

To pay or not to pay?

(I apologise if there is a more appropriate section of the forum to post this in but to me it seemed to be the most fitting)

One of my issues is this:

The Issue

Hospitals have requested that they be allowed to pay people for donating blood and other bodily organs, such as kidneys.

The Debate

"We remain critically short of blood plasma and various organs," says Ezentia One hospital administrator Sue-Ann Chandra. "Especially hearts. A good heart is hard to find. But if we were allowed to pay for donations, we'd get more of them and could save more lives. Plus the donor takes home a few hundred Zents in compensation. Unless it's a post-mortem donation, of course. In that case we'd pay the family."

"Great idea," says social commentator Bill Zhu. "Except for one thing. You know who's going to be selling their organs? Poor people! They'll be so desperate for money that they'll sell their own kidneys. Well, a kidney. This is just another way for the rich to buy themselves a better life at the expense of the poor. It must be outlawed."

What do you believe are the pros and cons of these arguments and what are the implications for my nation?

Sounds like the first will raise economy and lower Civil liberty by a little, the second will lower civil liberty a lot.