Sign in to follow this  
Eurotas

End the Corruption

The great nation of Eurotas, the last of the Heraclids, is furious with the present stage of Yggdrasil. The Great Tree's roots are weak as a result of corruption. We have non-WA members as Senators purely because they control an annexed nation in the WA. We have given power to a nation that does not suffer from the sanctions the World Assembly ambiguously gives out. Where is the justice? The mighty nation of Eurotas looks out for the Free People of Black Foot. They are a warrior people who have long suffered at the hand of white greed. Black Foot is a member of the WA to make sure they stay safe. However, would I truly represent a suitable WA nation? No, Eurotas has gladiatorial sports and believes the State knows best. Let the annex nation hold the honor of being a Senator instead of letting the more powerful country who controls it have the glory of title and power.

All nations in Yggdrasil know what is right. Only the Eurotai do what is right!

End the Corruption.

The great nation of Eurotas, the last of the Heraclids, is furious with the present stage of Yggdrasil. The Great Tree's roots are weak as a result of corruption.

This is well written. Good job. [/nosarcasm]

We have non-WA members as Senators purely because they control an annexed nation in the WA. We have given power to a nation that does not suffer from the sanctions the World Assembly ambiguously gives out. Where is the justice? The mighty nation of Eurotas looks out for the Free People of Black Foot. They are a warrior people who have long suffered at the hand of white greed. Black Foot is a member of the WA to make sure they stay safe. However, would I truly represent a suitable WA nation? No, Eurotas has gladiatorial sports and believes the State knows best. Let the annex nation hold the honor of being a Senator instead of letting the more powerful country who controls it have the glory of title and power.

1. Gorbanhavenstorkk, Torburdagesh, and Zandevstablart are not annexed nations, they are military colonies created by and consisting only of Alyekrii troops.
  2. Gorbanhavenstorkk, Torburdagesh, and Zandevstablart are used for the purposes of defending, which, as far as I have seen, is consistent with the goals of Yggdrasil.
  3. Because of the fact that Gorbanhavenstorkk, Torburdagesh, and Zandevstablart are used for defending, having them run for an office in Yggdrasil would be impractical as they wouldn't even be in the region 99% of the time.

All nations in Yggdrasil know what is right. Only the Eurotai do what is right!

End the Corruption.

Thank you for your concern, and thank you for posting this. It is good for people to hold their government accountable for their actions. I encourage you and anyone else who reads this to continue to scour our government members for any sign of corruption and injustice.

Edited by Alyekra

Why can't Alyekra be a defender nation and one of the WA-nations could be the Senator. The whole thing reminds of Augustus Caesar, how he never called himself an Emperor, but had EVERY other possible title in Rome.

Why can't Alyekra be a defender nation and one of the WA-nations could be the Senator. The whole thing reminds of Augustus Caesar, how he never called himself an Emperor, but had EVERY other possible title in Rome.

WA membership is necessary to defend. Take a look at the Basics of Millitay Gameplay thread.

If what you proposed was possible, Alyekra would doubtless be a member of the World Assembly.

EDIT: Also, "End the Corruption" is awesome slogan.

Edited by Alyekra

You claim that by not joining the WA, Alyekra is corrupt. However, I would make the opposite claim. The WA is widely acknowledged to be a hotbed of corruption and bureaucracy, and by not being a member of that body, Alyekra has set itself free from that corruption.

Gorbanhavenstorkk is a nation that no longer exist. (Copied and pasted directly)

Torburdagesh and Zandevstablart are not WA nations.

None of your military colonies are members of the WA. How will you effectively raid?

My problem is that if you truly represent Yggardsil as a Senator, you should be forced to truly be a member of the World Assembly. You claim to be worthy of the status Vanir? Then prove it, subjugate yourself to the rules of the World Assembly. Serve this great region instead of taking titles and glory for yourself.

Do not verse me on military procedure. We Eurotai are the descendants of the Spartans. We are baptized by combat. We live in service to the state. Only the most deserving are given tombstones, those who die in battle and those who die in childbirth. What do you know of service Alyekra? You take the Owl of Athena as your sigil, let you lack the wisdom to see what your deeds have done!

I have to agree here, The member nations you quoted for defending are not part of the WA...

Now, I'm not entirely sure, but I think the WA has something to do with defending...

If they weren't part of WA, don't hide it, it makes us suspicious of you.

Now, to my knowledge the seat of Vanir need to be given to a nation thats apart of WA, as long as you or your colony nations is part of it, GRO already gave the green light, but since none are, we need to change that.

But, on the other hand, does it really matter?

GRO has to have the final say on this. The rules have been created for a purpose. Since Aleykra's appointment circumvents those same rules , it clears the way for future exceptions like this. Thus begs the question as Vrolondia rightly put it - does it really matter? Yes, we should just re-write them to avoid further controversy in the future.

Article V. Elections

5.1. General Procedures

5.1.1. Only Yggdrasil WA members are eligible to stand for election. Members interested in running for the Senate or the Chancellor's (Delegate position) must notify the whole region through the forum during election season. Nations may only run for and hold one position at a time.

5.1.2. Elections shall follow a course of seven days for nomination and campaigning, followed by a period of seven days for voting.

5.1.3. All Senators shall have a term of four months starting from the conclusion of elections. Existing Senators may seek re-election but no nation shall serve more than three consecutive terms unless decided otherwise by a vote of the Council.

5.1.4. The Regional Development Minister shall have a term of four months starting from the conclusion of elections. The incumbent Minister may seek re-election but no nation shall serve more than two consecutive terms unless decided otherwise by a vote of the Council.

5.1.5. The Lord Chancellor (Delegate) shall have a term of six months. The Chancellor may seek re-election at the end of his term but shall not serve more than three consecutive terms.

5.1.6. If a Senator or Minister vacates his seat before his term, the Council will deliberate whether or not to hold a replacement election immediately or wait until the next scheduled round of elections. If a Chancellor vacates his seat before his term, a replacement election will be held as soon as possible.

Edited by South Titania

There is still the problem of Alyekra having multiple positions. Do you all not see my Augustus Caesar analogy? He has multiple power positions. This isn't a personal vendetta against Alyekra, however, it is a vendetta against nepotism and tyranny. I came to this region hoping to find like minded people who wanted to do good. Yet, I am still seeing the same old problems. Nepotism, Nations with too much power, and drone nations letting it happen.

I propose that we abolish the need to be a member of the WA. However, we create a new position called the Ratatoskr. In Norse mythology, the Ratatoskr was a squirrel who ran up and down Yggardsil delivering messages. The Ratatoskr will give proposals to the World Assembly from Yggardsil and could potentially make a monthly newsletter.

And, Alyekra must choose to be a member of the Defense Force or a Senator.

First and foremost- I am aware that he's Vanir, what other things does he belong too other the UDL? I'm not seeing his signup in the YDS Signup thread.

He's not a WA member, so the real question is- Should we force him to join an organization he doesn't want too, or do we re-write the issue for future Vanir?

I like the idea of Ratatoskor, brings to mind a certain squirrel who was a well loved Diplomat from Ulthar.

In lou of stealing your thunder, we could also make it a Diplomatic title? But more on this later- One concept at a time.

We should figure out what titles Alyekra has and act accordingly.

Edited by Vrolondia

Gorbanhavenstorkk is a nation that no longer exist. (Copied and pasted directly)

That's a misspelling.

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=gorbanhavenstnorkk

Torburdagesh and Zandevstablart are not WA nations.

Obviously. If I tried to have more than one WA nation at a time they would be deleted.

None of your military colonies are members of the WA. How will you effectively raid?

I do not raid. I defend.

My problem is that if you truly represent Yggardsil as a Senator, you should be forced to truly be a member of the World Assembly. You claim to be worthy of the status Vanir? Then prove it, subjugate yourself to the rules of the World Assembly.

How do you know that? Prove that I do not subjugate myself. I abide by all of the World Assembly's laws despite not being an official member.

Do not verse me on military procedure. We Eurotai are the descendants of the Spartans. We are baptized by combat. We live in service to the state. Only the most deserving are given tombstones, those who die in battle and those who die in childbirth. What do you know of service Alyekra? You take the Owl of Athena as your sigil, let you lack the wisdom to see what your deeds have done!

Actually, it's based off an Egyptian hieroglyph.

And what have my deeds done, by the way?

There is still the problem of Alyekra having multiple positions. Do you all not see my Augustus Caesar analogy? He has multiple power positions. This isn't a personal vendetta against Alyekra, however, it is a vendetta against nepotism and tyranny. I came to this region hoping to find like minded people who wanted to do good. Yet, I am still seeing the same old problems. Nepotism, Nations with too much power, and drone nations letting it happen.

You believe that I defend regions for personal gain? That my position in the United Defender's League is one of power? That defending isn't a worthy cause? Every time I defend a region it's a fight against tyranny, against despotic raider organizations, against those who unjustly seize power from the natives of a region and turn their home into a wasteland. In short, I spend my time fighting against the very things you accuse me of.

Edited by Alyekra

Guys, seriously. He has a WA nation. So it's not his main nation - big deal. Zybodia is not, has never been, and never will be in the WA. (In my case, for roleplay reasons, rather than military ones.) As long as a person is controlling a WA nation in the service of Yggdrasil, it makes no difference which nation that person chooses to identify with - they still are eligible for election.

I propose that we abolish the need to be a member of the WA. However, we create a new position called the Ratatoskr. In Norse mythology, the Ratatoskr was a squirrel who ran up and down Yggardsil delivering messages. The Ratatoskr will give proposals to the World Assembly from Yggardsil and could potentially make a monthly newsletter.

In general, it is the case that the nation who does the most work on the proposal is the one who submits it to the WA, since they deserve to have their name on it. However, we could use a newsletter editor. Our former, much-beloved ambassador from Ulthar was Ratatoskr, so it would be most respectful to select a different name, but otherwise, if you would like to make a newsletter, let GRO know. (Or just make it; if it's good enough, the Foreign Affairs department will pay you florins to use it in our dispatches to our friends and allies.

Oo Ooo Ooo, A good name for a new-editor would be Vedrfolnir, the eagle that sits atop the World Tree, and tells ratatoskor what to tell Nidhoggr.

Alyekra is an obvious benefactor of rampant nepotism. Have him resign from one of his positions and heavily amend the constitution. Don't stress the importance of reading the constitution when half the rules aren't being followed. It is no professional.

nepotism

I don't think that word means what you think it means. Alyekra is actually a relatively recent resident of this region, moving in a few months ago, and was a WA nation, before seeking and receiving permission to defend invaded regions in his spare time. This is an honourable request, and his petition was granted by the Goddess Relief Office.

Also, he only has one government position. That is perfectly acceptable under the constitution. If he resigned, he would have none. (Which is also perfectly acceptable under the constitution, but irrelevant.)

I would suggest perhaps that, rather than trying to tear down the people who are trying to get involved and be useful, you instead devote your efforts toward doing useful things yourself. Would you be interested in writing for a newsletter?

So being a member of the Defense Force is not considered a government position? I understand why The United Kingdom of Marzovia had so many problems with Alyekra now. He was no a WA nation and was applying for Senator. Poor Marzovia just wasn't fluent enough in English to express himself.

Also, I perfectly understand what Nepotism is. It comes from Latin bro. I feel that G.R.O. is playing favorites (Favoritism, Nepotism. I am trying to stick to the RP game, so I went with Nepotism) and didn't openly come forward with his exception enough. It had to be brought up. Is that not suspicious.

We all kind of knew what was going on though.. GRO didn't pick a favorite, she set aside and exception for an inactive forum.

The Yggdrasil Defense Force is not part of the government, and many government officials have served in it.

The United Defenders League, which is what Alyekra is in, is an interregional defense organisation. Serving in it, therefore, cannot be considered having another government position. So before you go accusing GRO of playing favorites, let me ask you this: Have you ever asked GRO for permission to serve in the UDL? It's not favoritism if anybody is allowed to do it, and GRO is notoriously supportive of defending.

So being a member of the Defense Force is not considered a government position?

No, it's not. The United Defender's League is an organization that isn't part of any region (Let alone Yggdrasil) nor do they even have a government.

I understand why The United Kingdom of Marzovia had so many problems with Alyekra now. He was no a WA nation and was applying for Senator. Poor Marzovia just wasn't fluent enough in English to express himself.

Marzovia never brought up my World Assembly Membership, or even say anything to that effect. His complaint was that he believed I had tried to bully him into withdrawing from the race (a claim which has is totally and completely false).

Also, I perfectly understand what Nepotism is. It comes from Latin bro. I feel that G.R.O. is playing favorites (Favoritism, Nepotism. I am trying to stick to the RP game, so I went with Nepotism) and didn't openly come forward with his exception enough. It had to be brought up. Is that not suspicious.

It does seem suspicious, and you were right in bringing this up.

What do you mean by "didn't openly come forward with his exception"?

Are you serious? Any decision that potentially conflicts with the laws of the land should be openly discussed. G.R.O. made a decision that went against the constitution. At least amend the constitution or ask the people. Remember when I was new and asking about a Senator position for my friend? I was inquiring about the qualifications. Next thing I know, Alyekra has been made Senator. THEN WE FIND OUT THAT YOU JUST NEED TO HAVE ANOTHER NATION IN THE WA.

I'm not the slightest bit butt hurt over this, I just don't like what looks like rampant corruption and favoritism.

Are you serious? Any decision that potentially conflicts with the laws of the land should be openly discussed. G.R.O. made a decision that went against the constitution. At least amend the constitution or ask the people. Remember when I was new and asking about a Senator position for my friend? I was inquiring about the qualifications. Next thing I know, Alyekra has been made Senator. THEN WE FIND OUT THAT YOU JUST NEED TO HAVE ANOTHER NATION IN THE WA.

I'm not the slightest bit butt hurt over this, I just don't like what looks like rampant corruption and favoritism.

As for "Asking the people" I won the election by ten points if I remember correctly. Would it satisfy you to see an amendment passed?

You didn't win an election. You were given an election. You ran unopposed.

I want HUGE AMENDMENTS to the constitution.

5.2.2. If an election position is contested by only one nation, the voting will proceed with "I refuse to vote for candidate name" as an alternative choice. If in the unfortunate scenario the sole candidate accumulates a lower vote count than "I refuse to vote for candidate name", the election will be declared a mis-vote. In such a case, the Chief Executive may either call for a new round of elections, or appoint a suitable candidate to fill the position.

The citizens of Yggdrasil had the option of voting against me, and two people did, but the majority felt I was a qualified leader.

Also:

8.1.2.[Amending the Constitution] Via a Regional Poll

Any WA member may propose an amendment, so long as he receives the written support of ten WA members. The Council shall then poll all citizen nations on the proposed amendment in the forum for one full week. In order to pass, the regional poll must achieve a majority of 70 percent in favor.

What sorts of things do you have in mind?

You didn't win an election. You were given an election. You ran unopposed.

As you could have.