Goddess Relief Office

Questions about Yggdrasil or NationStates?

Thanks. I really appreciate the help. It's the "Leader Assassinated... Almost" issue.

I'm not sure whether to cut their taxes or cut their heads. Any advice on what would be best?

As you very well know, a masked stranger with a pistol made an attempt on your life but moments ago while you were out on your lunch break. An emergency meeting has been called right here in the middle of the street after the would-be assassin disappeared over a nearby grassy knoll.

The Debate

1. "Oh dear! Oh dearie me, that was so rude!" coos your personal assistant, Christopher Johnson, adjusting your tie. "You'll just have to prove to the citizens of Tyrtania that you are a good and benevolent leader, and don't deserve to be brutally shot in the head! The only way to keep you safe is to make the public like you! Do something nice for them! Might I suggest a nice tax cut?"

2. "What makes you think it's a member of the general public behind this?" asks your Head of Security, Tiberius Grimm. "It's more likely to be the work of some underground separatist group trying to remove you from power! We've let them have their protests and their rallies and their free speech, and now they've taken it to the next level! We should be cracking down on this insolence instead of rewarding it! Show the people what happens to those who dare to question your authority. You've got to remind them that you, Leader, are their Lord and Master!"

3. "Whoa there! Let's not be too hasty!" says General Erik Wall, Head of the Military, casually walking up to you and flinging an arm around your shoulder. "This sort of thing wouldn't be a problem at all if you just beefed up your personal security a bit. You could hire a few extra bodyguards and get yourself a shiny new armoured car! Nobody could touch you!"

4. "Hah! Like that will work!" snorts Maximilian Vander, Minister of Infrastructure. "They'll just come after the rest of us and destroy the government from the bottom up! No, we need to go even further - reinforce the Parliament! We'll turn Tyrfall into an impenetrable fortress! Robot bodyguards, food tasters... no expense should be spared! We should all do our jobs through a complex network of computers so we never have to leave the safety of our offices again!"

Edited the names to fit my advisers. :)

Edited by Tyrtania

I can take a guess at the obvious effects, though any issue will have a number of more subtle effects that I can't hope to guess at.

1. Economic Strength Up (Generally, tax cuts help your economy.)

2. Political Freedom Down (You're being the man, and sticking it to the people.)

3. Law & Order and/or Military Spending Up, other government priorities or economy slightly down (Money doesn't come from nowhere; if you spend money on one thing, generally it has a slight negative effect on your economy, or maybe other government priorities, such as welfare and the environment.)

4. Law & Order and/or Military Spending Up, Other Spending and Economy Down (Like the last option, but much more extreme. While the previous one may not hurt your economic strength, this one almost certainly will. I have no idea what fortressing your government does to your political freedoms.)

Here's my reading of the issue, independent of Zybodia's:

1. Tax rate down.

2. Political freedoms down. Government budget in Law and Order increases.

3. Tax rate up. Government budget in Defence increases.

4. Political freedoms down. Civil rights down. Government budget in Defence increases.

Okay, well on the off chance it might bring the economy up we'll give out some tax breaks. We could really use it. ><

Thanks for the help both of you. :grouphug:

Edited by Tyrtania

OK, I do not know if this is the wrong place to put this, but about my Nation:

I wrote its history in a sort of Real World Way, as if it was the only place different from real Earth. Should I amend it to make it fit with the planet in the map?

It seems like a waste to have to rewrite your entire history. Since our fair region is looked over by the fair and benevolent Goddess Relief Office, it may be reasonable to claim that your nation was moved here, for whatever reason, by her. That would allow you to keep your history, yet get a fresh start here.

Just my idea, but it seems reasonable...

It seems like a waste to have to rewrite your entire history. Since our fair region is looked over by the fair and benevolent Goddess Relief Office, it may be reasonable to claim that your nation was moved here, for whatever reason, by her. That would allow you to keep your history, yet get a fresh start here.

Just my idea, but it seems reasonable...

I'll just keep the history and assume there is some way to get to real earth from Yggdrasil.

I just noticed that the copy of the constitution I had been reading had been repealed; and I can not for the life of me, find a current one. Where is it?

Firstly: Sorry about gravedigging, but this one seemed to be the most relevant forum for asking.

tl;dr: What is the Yggdrasil tech level? Can a custom winged humanoid non-godmodding species be made, or are species restricted to humans and more conventional species?

I am in the process of making a backstory that is compatible with Yggdrasil and can use it as a multi-role nation for several different character-based and nation-based RPs. What I had in mind is to keep the winged humanoids from Starkindler as a central theme, and adapt a nation and a full backstory around it. The winged humanoid theme is simple. What if humans evolved to have a pair of wings?

I have did research on the anatomical basis of it, and have found something on DeviantArt. I know it has nothing to do with anatomy, however, but for fiction it's pretty good. Then I have run quick numbers about the physics package (maximum power, maximum thrust, power requirements, maximum altitude, maximum velocity), and attempted to nerf it down to avoid godmodding. A quick result can be found here, however, I'm thinking of scrapping the pressurized lungs, or reworking the idea altogether. Maybe separating Starkindler from her warp drive and blasting her back to PMT to a level where sentient androids is still allowable if RP's would allow this.

Also I am confused of what is the technology level of the region. I have assumed PMT/FanT since of nations playing in the 2050's-'60s. As far as I know, technology has allowed high-speed interplanetary transport, reaching celestial bodies in a week, implying that space travel and associated research (for RP reasons) have enjoyed a boom. Judging from this technological level I thought mass-scale application of current experimental technologies would be plausible. In MT-ish situations I have a nation with strong central planning and centralized authorities in mind. (these cities are engineered to my MT platform of humans) Cars and trucks are banned. People travel with mass transit, on foot and on bicycles around in well engineered cities equipped with vast anti-air and anti-ballistic defenses. Service buildings are built underground consisting of a large, central nuclear fission (PMT - fusion, FT - antimatter) reactor providing power, district heating, desalination/pumping water, sewage treatment and hydrogen. Hydrogen is essential for the hydrogen/uranium economy the nation runs on since the 1970's (oil crisis). Hydrogen is generated from electrolysis of water and used in fluctuating load power plants, aircraft and military vehicles (tanks, APCs, military trucks being hybrid: they actually run on electricity, however carry a hydrogen turboshaft engine to produce electricity. Tanks ron on 100% turbine power like the M1-A1 Abrams). Ships are nuclear-powered (like the Savannah, but with the size & shape of modern container carriers and tankers).

My question is whether shall I scale lower down, or could it be implemented?

I dont know about the rest of the forum, but mine changes on a need-to-know basis.

Lets say I'm feeling spacey- I'll create a series of lizard people, some Neko-Mimi and starships along with my Mars and Moon Colonies.

Feeling medivaly, I desing my nation based on a Confederation of Monachys in a series of kingdoms spreading all over Yggdrasil- not just my nation itself, but my Ethnic Group, and others I've created as well.

I guess the way I see it is this: I am in the Space Age, but when I want too or I need to for RP purposes, I design my nations past to fit. Thats how Vrolondia has developed.

Example: I have Hydron Coliders set up on my airships so I soar through the cosmos at a brisk pace of 12 light years/hour; but I'm enviromentally friendly so they run on trans fat and Marmolaide.

Meanwhile, if I talk to Eurotas, who is based in Ancient Sparta, then I revert back to The Twelve Tribes and base it around the Caananites; That way I can dynamically create my nations past, present, and future without subjecting it to a single timeframe.

The result is that My nation is constantly changing and devloping, which is why I play this game: I love cultures, languages, and Historys, and when I can create it on a whim for the situation then it becomes fun again.

As for the Fantasy aspect of it, if you can create and design it, then you can have it. We had a Dev minister here who had Non-Humans, Half-Humans, Hybrids, Lycans, Vampires, the whole 9 yards; and it resulted in a civil war in her nation causing it to split into two, both of which she RP at the Union.

One based on Human Supremisists, the other based on Non-Human Rights.

When I first came to Yggdrasil, I was a nomadic people looking for a home, somewhere around 3500BC

I then became an Armed Republic based in the late 20th century, then two kingdoms in the 12th century, 1000BC, 500AD, 2250AD, 2060AD, and now im back at 320AD, creating my nation around all aspects of time I can think of. When it happens I find one I don't have, I create it, and thats given me a distict taste of what my people are like; as well as alot more then I'm willing to type out.

I personally try not to use things like Elves, Dwarves, ect; Their boring. And their simply modified humans.

No. I have Alexstraza the Dragon Queen mate with a human slave, resulting in The Dragon-Born crossbreeds on my northern Isles. This causes an ingraned hatred between our two races, though at the same time the intermingling of them.

Maybe I never bring them up in RP? Who cares, they exist.

TLDR; No need to tone anything down; but I would flesh out your nations past and future.

Edited by Vrolondia