Welcome to The Realm

Welcome to our forum! Like most online communities you must register to view or post. But don't worry, this is a simple process that requires minimal information and effort. When registering, please use your Nation name from NS as your Display name.

Thank you.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goddess Relief Office

Which real life country do you come from?

Which real life country do you come from?   30 members have voted

1. 1. Which real life country do you come from?

• Denmark, Norway
    • Sweden, Iceland, Finland
    • The rest of Europe (excluding the above countries)
    • South America
    • Middle East
    • West Asia and South Asia
    • East Asia and Southeast Asia
    • USA/Canada
    • Africa
    • Australia and NZ
    • Others

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
27 posts in this topic

Seeing how we are Valhalla, which is named after a viking legend. I was wondering how many of you have Nordic roots. Do you come from a north european nation?

If not, where do you hail from?

:viking2:

South America! :)

I couldnt be further away from Nordic :P ; although I have polish ancestors..... and poland is closed to germany and have a more nordic culture rather than anglo-saxon or celtic.

how about you GRO?

and Elici, Where in the south east of europe?

I love their history, its so interesting. Specially Hungary and its neighbords.

You didnt add Australia :sad_2:

I was born in Australia but my parents are American (Estonian/Swedish/French/Portuguese/Cherokee) and in the military, so I move around allot. Curse Californian weather !!!!!!!!! XD

Lugh your beyond lucky, I always did love the pre-columbian cultures of the Incas, Mayans, Olmecs and Aztecs. Not sure if they are of much import to you but if I had the chance I'd be hoping around from ruin to ruin and visiting every museum possible.

how about you GRO?

Southeast Asia.

Why are denmark and norway linked together?

Dunno... XD I just did it for some reason

You didnt add Australia :sad_2:

Whoops! Fixed...

Southeast Asia.

Really? I always thought you were american, I dont know why :P

Lugh your beyond lucky, I always did love the pre-columbian cultures of the Incas, Mayans, Olmecs and Aztecs. Not sure if they are of much import to you but if I had the chance I'd be hoping around from ruin to ruin and visiting every museum possible.

Pre-columbian cultures are as much present in our current culture as native americans are un the USA. Meaning that they are almost not present at all. Sadly thats waht happends after conquesting this continent.

and Elici, Where in the south east of europe?

balkans

I love their history, its so interesting. Specially Hungary and its neighbords.

hey same here i love history

Pre-columbian cultures are as much present in our current culture as native americans are un the USA. Meaning that they are almost not present at all. Sadly thats waht happends after conquesting this continent.

Ya it pretty sad how horribly the Spanish conquistadors and the ensuing colonists treated the native South Americans. Not to mention the diseases and violent fanatical Catholic missionaries that they brought over.

I have to say though, the Americans were just as bad if not worse to the natives here after the British were overthrown along with their ideas of coexisting with the tribes West of the Mississippi.

Ya it pretty sad how horribly the Spanish conquistadors and the ensuing colonists treated the native South Americans. Not to mention the diseases and violent fanatical Catholic missionaries that they brought over.

I have to say though, the Americans were just as bad if not worse to the natives here after the British were overthrown along with their ideas of coexisting with the tribes West of the Mississippi.

"Manifest Destiny" what a crock.

as an emerican im not proud of that bit of history. but hey, we were the descendants of europeans, and conquest seems to be in the genes.

Which is kind of ironic whenever White Americans call Mexicans illegal immigrants... In some degree, everyone is illegal. The only natives are the American Indians. =p

Which is kind of ironic whenever White Americans call Mexicans illegal immigrants... In some degree, everyone is illegal. The only natives are the American Indians. =p

Rofl your the first person ive met whos actually thought of things that way as well.

Hmm, I always figured GRO was British. Of course, I also thought Denmark and Norway were lumped together deliberately because they were a unified country at one point.

With regards to conquistadors/Americans/etc., I've always felt that they've been unduly derided if you consider how terrible the times were in general. The belligerency against the pre-Columbian civilizations, while barbaric by our standards, is comparable to what happened to German states during the Thirty Years' War. The reason that the cultures of the Americas were so thoroughly eradicated was because of communicable diseases and the overwhelming technological/industrial advantage of one side.

Of course, I am biased.

Edited by Korros

what's your bias, cause i think i have it too. manifest destiny, reservations, the internment camps during world war two, America has done some pretty messed up things. true. we own up to it with a sneer that says "we'll do it again if necessary. please dont make it necessary."

smallpox wasnt an attack. it's a disease. youre in an elevator with someone that has the flu. you get the flu. do you proceed to go at flu-person with a vengance? no, you take some medicine and shut up.

Mexicans who cross the border illegally ARE illegal aliens. just like an american who illegally goes to canada would be one. when settlers from europe came across and formed provisionary governments there was no governmental structure, there were no borders to cross, there was no economy to harm. things have changed. also, to be native somewhere is to be born there, no? if not, then please explain that to me.

what's your bias, cause i think i have it too. manifest destiny, reservations, the internment camps during world war two, America has done some pretty messed up things. true. we own up to it with a sneer that says "we'll do it again if necessary. please dont make it necessary."

smallpox wasnt an attack. it's a disease. youre in an elevator with someone that has the flu. you get the flu. do you proceed to go at flu-person with a vengance? no, you take some medicine and shut up.

Mexicans who cross the border illegally ARE illegal aliens. just like an american who illegally goes to canada would be one. when settlers from europe came across and formed provisionary governments there was no governmental structure, there were no borders to cross, there was no economy to harm. things have changed. also, to be native somewhere is to be born there, no? if not, then please explain that to me.

Are you justyfying the atrocities commited by the U.S government to minority groups like the Native Americans and Japanese?

Did it ever occur to you that Native Americans dont have any resistance to diseases from Asia,Europe and Africa? Its actually a proven fact that Pre-Columbian native americans lacked the genes and defenses common umong their soon to be European oppressors.

You are correct as far as the first two sentences go. The others are beyond ignorant.

South America was host to several MASSIVE EMPIRES and two at the time of the conquistadors. North America may not have had any major cities or empires for decades by the time the English settlers arrived but they did have governments. Alliances, leaugues and so forth were formed by Native American nations and had those diseases never reached them I believe empires, cities and a more highly advanced military would have emerged.

Even if we were born here, our anscestors were not and and they invaded and forcibly removed the NATIVE Americans from THEIR lands on the grounds that they are inferior and that more advanced weaponry gave them the right to sieze two already populated continents.

Edited by TangKasha

i've been thinking in the context of north america. the way a country has always (to my knowledge, at least) is "defined by its borders, language and culture." in western societies, which the settlers all came from, if there is not some imaginary line with a sign saying "do not cross," then it would be crossed. America is in a sense like Rome. i'm not saying its just, and i pesonally am disgusted by many things historically and presently carried out by its governance. i say things the way i see them, and am open to debate. as a disclaimer, i am not typical of people here. dont use me as a negative example of my people based on views you refuse to see both sides of. in a civilized conversation one states his views. if youre going to call it ignorant, please point out why.

"Are you justyfying the atrocities commited by the U.S government to minority groups like the Native Americans and Japanese?"

first point to make is history is history. to try to justify it is pointless as it has already happined. Am i to apologize for something done by someone i'm not even actually descended from?

secondly, which atrocities on the Japanese are you talking about. i can think of two; the bombings, and internment camps during the "war to end all wars." I'm from a primarily German family myself. the internment camps were full of germans in the same way and for the same reasons as the japanese. Italians were held too.

"Did it ever occur to you that Native Americans dont have any resistance to diseases from Asia,Europe and Africa? Its actually a proven fact that Pre-Columbian native americans lacked the genes and defenses common umong their soon to be European oppressors."

yes, that's well proven today. it's easy to say that retrospectively, since we now have modern medicine, but how were those from europe to know this ahead of time when people were still commonly being drained of blood by leeches as common practice and those with psychological disorders were treated with an execution for heresy?

Had the colonies failed, or even worldviews differed slightly, the natives could have come to be a world power. i wont deny that, i dont justify what's gone on. the country may have its problems, may have commited great crimes against other portions of humanity, but show me a world power that hasnt.

i say things the way i see them, and am open to debate. as a disclaimer, i am not typical of people here. dont use me as a negative example of my people based on views you refuse to see both sides of. in a civilized conversation one states his views

Gaia never did do anything for my debating skills or my use of more courteous tone and wording so I would like to apalogize for how rude that sounded.

secondly, which atrocities on the Japanese are you talking about

I was reading something on Japan at the same time so for some reason I wrote that instead of Jewish , my bad.

Im running out of time so ill have to respond to the rest of your post later. Thankyou for taking the time to overlook my mistakes and reply back.

Edited by TangKasha

I'm from England....and watching the Ashes right now.....already a wicket down, not a good start.

Born in the famously Nordic state of California, or as a notedly Germanic Governor once called it Cah-Lee-Foh-Nya, from a genetically Czech family. So, not very Nordic? Or perhaps only tangentially so. :whip:

I'm from the midwest USA, which is probably the least interesting place to be born.

But if it's worth anything my grandparents immigrated from Scotland, and I have many family members living all over the UK.