Sign in to follow this  
Velinore

Newbie needs help.

Well,I was reading around the forums and I found out a few things.I cant tell the difference between rp and actually NS content.Like buying and selling products is it rp or ingame content I've yet to unlock?Also the fact that im new and inexperienced what activities can I partake in?I'd like to be more involved in Yggdrasil.In most games I just stay quiet,but I'd like to be more involved.Sorry if this is a pointless article...if it is just delete this thread.I just cant figure stuff out on my own...(A result of being homebound for my entire school life.)

On a side note,I'm a WA member,can someone update my profile reflecting this?Or are there other conditions I must meet?

Thanks for you time.

Well,I was reading around the forums and I found out a few things.I cant tell the difference between rp and actually NS content.Like buying and selling products is it rp or ingame content I've yet to unlock?

Role-play is not 'actual NS content' that you unlock in any way. Role-play is just that: playing roles - just as in a movie or a play. There are several ways in which this could be done.

One way is to create or plan a plot with characters and all, and then play it out in one or more threads. The plot could be something that happens in your nation (such as a sports tournament, or an election, for instance). The plot could also be international, involving multiple nations, like a War, for instance. For example, check this thread out. The players like Tyrtania, Elici et al. are playing out characters in a made up story - namely a revolution in Tyrtania.

However, when it involves multiple nations, you have to include the respective players in the planning of the plot. For example, you can't plan a plot in which your nation declares war on Travancore-Cochin, and then sends in the army to Travancorean territory, capturing large tracts of it. If you want to do something like that, you have to work out the plan with me.

Now if you think that's hard, you can just play the plot out in your imagination and then let out news casts as if the events you had imagined actually happened in your nation. That way, you won't have to go into much detail. Many of the national news threads in the News and Current Events forum are examples of this.

Here in Yggdrasil, we don't have any rules about role-play. So, we have what is called free-form role-play. The only thing that is holding you back is your own imagination! However, there are certain pitfalls that you should avoid.

Firstly, in your plot/story, things should happen only to your own characters. You don't own anybody else's characters as much as they own yours. Therefore, you don't have a say in what happens to others' characters just as they don't have a say in what happens to yours. This is the reason why I said that you have to let other players in on the planning of an RP, if you want to involve their nations too. In effect, these players will plan their characters' roles in the RP, which they will play out.

A word of caution, though: you shouldn't misconstrue this as meaning that you can godmod.

Godmod (or Godmode): Literally, God mode. If you played video games before, you will know this. Godmodding is a situation in which you refuse to let any harm to occur to your characters no matter what, while you can harm others' characters. An example:

Player A: Jane Doe takes a gun out of her purse, points it at John Doe point blank, and shoots him.

Player B: John Doe uses his amazing magic skills to slow down time, take the bullet in his hand, and toss it back at high speed to Jane Doe, killing her instantly. I win!!

Do that, and other players will start ignoring you.

Secondly, don't wank. While making up stats/numbers etc. (such as your defence budget), you should always use figures from established calculators like NSEconomy. Keep in mind, though, that NSEconomy uses data about your nation provided by the NS site, so the 'actual NS content' - the daily issues that you answer - are just as important. For example, you won't have a high defence budget if you always select the peaceful option whenever an issue related to the armed forces comes up.

Thirdly, always make the distinction between In-Character and Out-of-Character. A declaration of war by Travancore-Cochin on Zybodia does not mean that the player Trav-Coch has declared that the player Zybodia is his foe.

There are many elaborate guides that have already been written on RP. PM me, if you want links to those.

Also the fact that im new and inexperienced what activities can I partake in?I'd like to be more involved in Yggdrasil.In most games I just stay quiet,but I'd like to be more involved.Sorry if this is a pointless article...if it is just delete this thread.I just cant figure stuff out on my own...(A result of being homebound for my entire school life.)

There's a lot more to Yggdrasil than just role-playing. In fact, there's a lot more to NS itself than role-playing. We run a totally out-of-character regional government for the governance of Yggdrasil (namely the NS region and the forums). We have out-of-character discussions here in the forums and forum games to play. Every now and then, we have 'events', which are again, out-of-character, involving players, to build a sense of community among those who are part of Yggdrasil. We even defend other regions (and this is 'actual NS content', in contrast to role-played war) from aggression. I'll reveal more about this gradually, because I think I've already said enough about the role-play facet of NS to overload your head. :P

And please don't hesitate to ask questions. You aren't a lesser human being because you choose to clear doubts. You aren't a lesser human being because you're a newcomer. We've all been newcomers at some point or another and nobody is born knowing all the things in the world. That's why I always ask new members to clear doubts. We're all here to help you understand the game more. Don't think bad of it. :)

On a side note,I'm a WA member,can someone update my profile reflecting this?Or are there other conditions I must meet?

Sorry, that's my fault. As Interior Minister, my duty is to keep track of all the people in the forum and see if they have the right masking. RL has been hard on me recently, so I haven't had much spare time to do my NS duties. Should get it sorted out in a day or two.