Sign in to follow this  
Goddess Relief Office

Gay Marriage

Simple question, not so simple answer: Should gay marriage be allowed?

A handful of states in the US have moved from allowing 'civil unions' to gay 'marriage'. Most states however, still do not allow this practice. Moving to a wider stage, many nations in the world not only don't recognize gay marriage, they completely disavow the existence of homosexuality.

Personally I believe there should be a limit as how far this is allowed to go. Some people evoke God or scripture to oppose gay marriage, though I will not.

What do you think? Should gay marriage be allowed? On what grounds?

If it should not be allowed, why not?

I personally think it should not be allowed. Like if two people want to live together so be it. But Marriage is between a man and woman, and it should stay that way.

I have been sitting here waiting and watching this issue unfold and I am bothered. We talk of Yggdrasil as being a safe Haven for freedom yet Gay Marriage is wrong. Well, how are we free if we allow that. Freedom is freedom, there is no middle ground. If a man and another man or if a woman and another woman want to marry, who am I to judge them. They are free, so they should be able to freely choose their lifestyle without fear of what others will do. Whether I agree or disagree, it is their choice, not mine or should the government interfere with their choice.

I think we should think of the actual ceremony as more of a private thing. There's no real need to have the state endorsing any form of union. Then, the two (or more?) individuals could just sign prenuptial agreements regarding distribution of property and children.

Although I do not understand why marriage is needed to prove that you are loyal to one another, if 2 people wish to be married they should be able to, no matter who or what they are. And being the only way to be official in the eyes of the state is more reason for complete freedom of marriage should be allowed.

Marriage is only "between a man and a woman" because you define it to be so. I define it to be the way to be an "official" couple, in the eyes of many people and in the eyes of the state.

Marriage is a religious pact... Unless these religions change their views (Hahaha, right...), there is no point in re-defining marriage. The state requires records of this because living single and living married is almost totally economically different, esp. with children. I'm not trying to make it sound like "we thought of the name first" kind of thing but that's what it basically comes down to. Marriage the joining of a man and a woman as overseen by church and state.

I'm not saying we should deny homosexuals the right to become 'butt-buddies' (hehe). Just saying they can't get married*

Actually, marriage is a joining of 'individuals' and can be recognized by religion or state or both. The only reason people are led to think that marriage should be between a man and a woman is because they were raised in that type of influence. There is no ultimate decision maker on who can marry who and the personal freedoms of people should permit whomever to marry anyone. As long as the individuals involved understand and support the marriage than the state or religion should not be allowed to interfere with such affairs and at least society should recognize the union. No one should have the right to tell someone who they can and cannot marry.

And since when was homosexuality considered 'wrong'? The Catholic Church and the people associated with it. The Catholic Church had a huge influence in history and some of their influence is still present in society. If you go to pre-Catholic Church ages, you'll notice that homosexuality is actually common and not looked down upon. The Romans/Greeks were perfect examples of homosexual oriented cultures. I'm not trying to justify marriage now through earlier instincts but I'm presenting the idea that the reason why homosexuality is ostracized now is because of religion influences.

"No one should have the right to tell someone who they can and cannot marry."

There is and they do... Not just for homosexual marriages, but you cannot marry a person under the age of consent wherever you get married. It's illegal, so there's an example of someone that decides who can and can't get married. Marriage wasn't defined as between 'two individuals' until the the idea of gay marriage came into play. How very convenient, wouldn't you say?

Sure, homosexuality wasn't looked down upon in the ancient times, but you don't see any sort of marriage between the two. They had male concubines for men and such, heck they even had sex with animals back then, but still no marriages with dogs either. It was very political and economical to get married during those times, and it was always between a man and a woman.

(I really don't have a stand on gay marriage other than I don't care. I just like to debate, and what better way to debate than to take the position everyone avoids ^_^ )

Edited by Opulento

Actually, I mentioned that the individual had to understand the concept of marriage which was meant to imply the reason for the age restriction on marriage and marriage was always defined as a union between 'individuals', you've simply been raised to believe it was a man and woman. It can be hard to put aside the ideas you've been raised with.

I think that if they want to be married I see no problem with it because they wanna prove themselves to be the same as the rest of the other people that married. They even though being different should deserves there rights as well as the fact that everyone should be equal should they not? Or is it that no one should be and everyone deserves bad treatment, I personally think that equality is fine but for the whole non-equality is wrong, because in the bible god wanted everyone to be loved and to be equal. Anyways this is my opinion.

Tax Benefits

* Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.

* Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.

Estate Planning Benefits

* Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.

* Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.

* Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.

* Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse’s behalf.

Government Benefits

* Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.

* Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.

* Receiving public assistance benefits.

These are a few of the benefits of marriage, do they really need them. Or is it just a symbol of their love?

I guess it all comes down to support. When a gay couple lives together, is it to support each other financially or romantically? I honestly can't see them making babies to support, but they do get adopted kids and artificial insemination. Are these advancements the only reasons that brought attention to 'un-equal' rights?

It seems weird to me, but I don't really care if they get the right to marry or not. Honestly, I'm tired of hearing about it. Be it Anti-Gay messages or Gay Pride parades, I don't like it shoved in my face.

but I don't really care if they get the right to marry or not. Honestly, I'm tired of hearing about it. Be it Anti-Gay messages or Gay Pride parades, I don't like it shoved in my face.

Sums up my feelings on the subject. As long as you don't shove in my face, and it doesn't have a negative effect on me go ahead... just keep it private.

It seems weird to me, but I don't really care if they get the right to marry or not. Honestly, I'm tired of hearing about it. Be it Anti-Gay messages or Gay Pride parades, I don't like it shoved in my face.

I'm alright with them but yes, the gay-rights movement can be annoying because its so "look at me I want your attention". I currently live in California, there's a ton of protests everyday from war, gay, immigration, animal, environment, to other types of rights issue. Sometimes I think I rather live in, say, China, where protests are non-existant. :lol:

there taken to the basements of the national burea of internal security and, if their lucky, they'll be shot in the head.

Lucky is the key word there :lol:

If you're not lucky you pummeled into a bloody pulp, get some rest, electrecuted, rest, beat to a bloody pulp and sent to a concentration camp where you work well beyond twelve hours a day on a food supply that wouldn't sustain a plastic figure until you die.

So yes, "lucky" is the key word.

I apologize if I'm wrong....but there would be no need for protests if gay couples could marry, right?

I apologize if I'm wrong....but there would be no need for protests if gay couples could marry, right?

Perhaps, but then you might have polygamists demanding recognition, and then maybe people will want to marry their pets... or anything? Dictators are quite afraid of letting the slippery slope of civil rights fall out of their hands plus they like to keep the system the way it is.

But....everything has to change sooner or later, right? Maybe if people tried changing their views on gay marriage, or polygamy, or...marriage to pets, these things would be allowed.....though marriage to pets....I don't think that would happen soon..... =)

(It's not that I totally approve of polygamy or pet marriage, but if marriage were between consenting and informed individuals, isn't it okay...?)

Perhaps, but then you might have polygamists demanding recognition, and then maybe people will want to marry their pets... or anything? Dictators are quite afraid of letting the slippery slope of civil rights fall out of their hands plus they like to keep the system the way it is.

Im afraid that you're right. The pedophiles in Holland have started making demands that they should stop being discriminated, and some of the more extreme parties are backing them...

I would give the articile but unfortunantly it was removed before I could save it... censorship is rampant in Europe.