Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Augustus

Moon Base

Moon Base  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Yes, I will donate a percentage of my GDP to build a launch base on the moon.

• 1%
    • 2%
    • 3%

A base on the moon for the purpose of launching ships to other planets will greatly reduce the amount of time necessary to travel around the solar system. All nations who put money towards building this base will get free use of the base. The base will support itself by charging a fee to all other nations.

As much as the intention is good, I feel that the building of a base on the moon would in fact increase travel time to the stars. Reasons are that 2 launches would be required - one to get the astronauts to the moon, a second to actually begin the journey - and that the money given to aid this construction could in fact be used to perform research into more efficient rocket engines and other more advanced rocket technology. Donating money to this base would slow this research, leaving travel as slow as it is currently and with two journeys rather than one, no doubt with a lengthy preparation period between the two.

We at the VRA would like to donate to build the base. Not for war uses, but to get a better view of the galaxy in hopes of finding new stars and planets.

As much as the intention is good, I feel that the building of a base on the moon would in fact increase travel time to the stars. Reasons are that 2 launches would be required - one to get the astronauts to the moon, a second to actually begin the journey - and that the money given to aid this construction could in fact be used to perform research into more efficient rocket engines and other more advanced rocket technology. Donating money to this base would slow this research, leaving travel as slow as it is currently and with two journeys rather than one, no doubt with a lengthy preparation period between the two.

I'd disagree in that a more expansive and extensive base can be built on the moon than anything that could be built on Earth. Without restrictions of land, populated areas, environmental concerns etc. Construction of bigger and better rockets would also be easier on the moon than on Earth as far as I'm concerned.

After our brief visit to Luna, and found how much it could benefit and teach us, President Devlin has approved giving 2% of our GDP to this project.

I do have a question about the base however, do contributing nations have their own private sections of the base and other parts public, or is it all public.

Edited by Shadowtech Demons

I believe it is all public, nothing is said about it not being so I'm assuming so. I also have a question: When will construction begin on the base? Is there a required amount of money?

Well, if terraforming only requires 20 to 25 people to donate 1% of their GDP, then I assume this would take about 10 people to donate 1%. So if one more person donates 1% then construction should begin on it.

Edited by Silvadus